Following a month focussed on goal setting & different methods for reviewing your progress, its time for a poll to reflect on your goals.
I hope our posts on different approaches to reviewing your progress have helped. Did you find a method that suited you better? As a reminder, our advice has included:
- Reviewing your story rather than your goals
- Pitfalls to avoid when selecting KPIs
- Why goals might be outdated as an approach
- A case for goals, that are inspirational
- How to use signposts to achieve your goals
But, before finalising your new goals & plans for 2019, have you taken time to learn from 2018? Have you reviewed how you did, against last year’s goals & why?
Progress against our goals
Last year’s annual Subscriber Survey confirmed that readers wanted to hear from a wider variety of voices. So, I set myself the goal of adding 10 more guest bloggers last year.
I fell short of that target, but am glad to reflect on the increased number of guests posts shared during 2018. As I shared in my post on reviewing your story, it’s important to also celebrate progress towards your goals, not just exact attainment.
I hope you’ve enjoyed one key step forward during 2018 – the addition of regular audio content, through our series of interviews with leaders. Have you heard all 7 of them? If not, do check out what has been a fascinating & enjoyable series of conversations.
But, let’s get back to you. How about your goal or goals for 2018, did you achieve all of them? Has coaching or mentoring helped you stay on track?
Your progress during 2018 = a poll to reflect on your goals
It seems we are overdue for another reader poll, so see below for a quick chance to share your progress & benchmark yourself against other readers…
Sharing progress in 2019 & learning from last year
Thanks in advance to all of you who contribute in this quick poll. It will be interesting to compare the results, of what you achieved last year, i.e. your performance at achieving goals in 2017.
As per normal, I will share the results, once we have sufficient participants. Before then, after answering each question, you can click on the link to see ‘running total‘ results, for that question, so far. Hopefully we will have sufficient participation to share the results by the end of February.
In the meantime, I encourage you to take time out to reflect on how you did against each of your 2018 goals. Kevin Watson shared a great last of questions in his post on inspirational goals. You might also like to review them using these questions:
- Which of your goals did you accomplish?
- Which did you celebrate? (taking time to celebrates helps with future motivation & memory)
- Which did you struggle with? What was the problem?
- Which goals need re-commitment to achieve in 2019?
- Which goals need revision, learning from what went wrong, to set better goals for 2019?
- Which goals do you want to remove entirely (now you understand more)?
- Which new goals are needed (considering topics suggested)?
I hope that checklist helps you. I look forward to hearing your answers to our poll to reflect on your goals. May you continue to see great progress during 2019.